Date: 10/27/18 11:37 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Beach & Evanston Lighthouse Sat 10-27-18
Hello Bird People,

As shorebirds are becoming harder to find these days I decided to
visit Montrose Beach where shorebirds are still being seen in some
numbers. And maybe I could help Denis K see the continuing Piping
Plover. Here's my day list:

Montrose Beach (7:30-8:30 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1 fly-by)
BLACK CROWNED NIGHT HERON (1-IM, continuing by the pier)
Mallard (~12)
Killdeer (3)
PIPING PLOVER (1, continuing, unbanded)
Sanderling (groups of 4 & 2)
Dunlin (groups of 15 & 1)
Ring Billed (~25) & Herring (2) Gulls
Chimney Swift (15-20, still flying)
SNOW BUNTING (1, by the pier)

With construction continuing at Gillson we need somewhere else to do
Lake Watches from so Jeff Sanders suggested trying the Evanston
Lighthouse park near to Gillson Pk. Looks like you get a good view of
birds flying by & it's a short walk to the beach but not much was
flying today when Jeff & I were there.

All we saw flying were Canada Geese, Redheads & Red Breasted
Mergansers. At the metal breakwater were D.C. Cormorants, Ring Billed
Gulls & Herring Gulls. Before I arrived Jeff had 1 White Winged Scoter
flying north. This place may work out for a Lake Watch site but it is
farther inland than at Gillson Park. We'll have to see. At Gillson
Park work has begun on the new beach house building with the entire
parking lot torn up for construction. Won't be parking there for the
rest of this year.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the continuing unbanded Piping Plover which has
been at Montrose now for 9 days or so. Runner-Up to the lone Snow
Bunting by the pier.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>