Date: 10/27/18 11:20 am
From: Jory Teltser via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Westport Sea and Warbler(!) Watching
Compo Beach, Westport: 8:30 - 12:00

I decided to spend the morning at Compo Beach seawatching during this
Nor'easter. Visibility was extremely low, so storm-related birds were hard
to come by. After a couple hours of this, I decided to walk around the
beach to see what else there was around. When I reached the kayak racks, I
walked the edge of the goldenrod bordering the rocky shore, and was a
little surprised to see a handful of warblers and other small migrants
feeding in them. For the next hour or so, I walked back and forth along
this 50ft edge of beach and watched birds fly in off the water and land
along the rocks, sand, and goldenrod. Birds would fly in every 10 or 15
minutes, and while diversity and numbers were low, it was still neat to see
birds, completely soaked and exhausted, fly in off the water and land at my
feet. Below is my eBird checklist, and a more detail about the warbler
phenomenon.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49491422

--
Jory Teltser:
President of the CTYBC, and Member of the Land Management Committee at