Date: 10/27/18 9:41 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (26 Oct 2018) 48 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 17:30:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Bob Strahorn, Gerry Teig

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (10): Bob Strahorn, Jim Balint, Susan Jeffers, Carolyn Holland,
Gerry Teig, Roger Keller, Daniel Noznisky, Nolan Morris & Ryan
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy - Cloudy w/Rain (75-100% cloud cover), Ceiling -
19,500-23,800 ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 35 - 52F, Winds Light &
Variable.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (7) and Turkey Vultures (24).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ I was treated to an immature Red-shouldered Hawk resting
in our feeder snag when I arrived at Bucktoe Hawk Watch this morning. It
remained right there, mere feet away, as I unpacked and readied myself for
my day. Amazing! Gerry was out bright and early this morning. I wonder -
had the aroma of “Manuel Field Brew” reached his nostrils?
<BR><BR>
Nolan was out with friend, Ryan, hopefully seeking inspiration for a poem
he owes us.
<BR><BR>
While I was struggling to find hawks today, Sabrena texted with news of a
Fox Sparrow at her home along the Octoraro Creek [SB].
<BR><BR>
We identified 48 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, American
Kestrel, Merlin, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, American
Pipit, Savannah Sparrow, American Tree Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Palm
Warbler, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch. Nothing new for this year’s “hawk
watch area” species list was seen today. [139 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Red-breasted Nuthatch, American Pipit, Savannah
Sparrow, American Tree Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Palm Warbler, Pine
Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.41; Steps: 7,307; Floors: 5.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 48; this season: 139
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):” nothing.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks LIKE A TOTAL WASH-OUT! High winds and RAIN.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek