Date: 10/27/18 9:24 am
From: Dorsey, Kurk <Kurk.Dorsey...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Durham Evening Grosbeaks etc.
Birders,

Like many of you, I headed out before the rain and found a few uncommon birds.

The Woodridge Playing fields at dawn had a pair of Carolina Wrens, and later there was a Pine Warbler checking out our feeders.

I swung by Moore Fields and found either 5 hunters and a bunch of goose decoys or a flock of geese with hunter decoys to keep other people out. So I turned around and drove to Thompson Forest, relatively new town land (parking just a bit off of Packers Falls Road on Wednesday Hill Road). The preserve has a 1.2 mile trail that goes half through a weedy field and half through a mixed forest and down by the Lamprey River. In the weedy field I was fortunate to find a Lincoln's Sparrow, a Magnolia Warbler, and 3 fly-over Evening Grosbeaks. My list for this patch is up to 76 species with these three gems.

I swung back to Moore Fields and the hunter decoys were still there, so I figured the geese must be smarter than me. Keeping safety in mind, I birded from the Tecee's parking area and got decent results: 13 Pectoral Sandpipers in flight, 2 Cooper's Hawks in flight, and 2 harriers (surprise--in flight!), as well as a pair of calling pipits. No sign of the plovers, but they could easily have been paying protection money to the geese.

Kurk Dorsey

Durham