Date: 10/27/18 9:00 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (25 Oct 2018) 44 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 17:30:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Hank Davis

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Hank Davis, Beaty Broughton
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (0-10% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles,
Temps 36 - 54F, Winds NW @ 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (17) and Turkey Vultures (33).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-6
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Field Brew this morning on my new coffee maker, courtesy
of Don & Sue Manuel. Heretofore to be known as “Manuel Field Brew” –
thanks, guys!! I owe you both mugs!! Field brew…excuse me…”Manuel Field
Brew” – was instantly on the grill. This one works so much better than the
old one! Hank spotted an adult Bald Eagle thereby earning a “celebratory
pretzel” and the very first cup of Manuel Field Brew! “MANUEL FIELD BREW”
is HERE!!! Line forms on the right.
<BR><BR>
A complete surprise today, was the Lapland Longspur which called its dry
rattle flight call and song as it flew over [FOY]. This is actually peak
migration time for this rarely seen species, especially on the shores of
Lake Erie, but this is a first for Bucktoe!
<BR><BR>
Dale and the gang from Crosslands Retirement Community were not out today.
It’s a good thing, too. Their leader, Dale, who has a well-known drinking
problem [OK, he spills her coffee all over my tables], was not here to
waste my “Manuel’s Field Brew!” Wasting Wawa’s coffee is one thing, Dale,
but the later – pure sacrilege! [You’ve been blogged, dear. Be sure not
to miss any doses of your prescribed medicines, the effects of this
blogging will eventually wear off]
<BR><BR>
We identified 47 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered Hawk, American
Kestrel, Great Blue Heron, Killdeer, Barred Owl, Belted Kingfisher,
American Pipit, Tennessee Warbler, Palm Warbler, Savannah Sparrow,
White-crowned Sparrow, LAPLAND LONGSPUR, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was LAPLAND LONGSPUR.
[139 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Blue Heron, Killdeer, Barred Owl, Belted Kingfisher, American Pipit,
Tennessee Warbler, Palm Warbler, Savannah Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow,
LAPLAND LONGSPUR, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur,
Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (1): Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.43; Steps: 11,990; Floors:
13.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 139
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” LAPLAND
LONGSPUR.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks not the best,building towards afternoon rain.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek