Date: 10/27/18 7:55 am
From: Joshua Little <joshua.p.little...>
Subject: [obol] Benton, Lincoln, and a little Lane
Hello Bird People,

Yesterday was my first chance to get out and do some birding in quite a
while. My dad was in town and we managed a pretty nice day despite the
dreary conditions.

First thing this morning we stopped at the Ankeny observation platform,
where two WHITE-TAILED KITES, a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, and a NORTHERN SHRIKE
started the day on the right foot.

Next we had very nice looks at the cot Hong DICKCISSEL at the Philomath
Sewage Ponds.

The rain really increased as we made our way to the coast, and the fog had
set in quite thickly by the time we got out there. The south jetty in
Newport was pretty quiet, but we did have nice looks at a PALM WARBLER at
the Hatfield estuary trail. Few MEWs around, but overall gull flocks here
and elsewhere were dominated by Calis.

Our best stop of the day came along Yachats Ocean Road, where the
shorebirds included a pair of Black Oystercatchers and a large rockpiper
flock with Black Turnstones, Surbirds, and a lone ROCK SANDPIPER. A hearty
little LAPLAND LONGSPUR was hopping along the rocks here too, and there
were a few BLACK SCOTERS just off shore.

Visibility steadily decreased as we got into Lane County. We were hoping
for a Palm but wound up with a TOWNSEND’S WARBLER at the Port of Siuslaw
Campground instead, and there was a very frosty first cycle ICELAND GULL in
the boat basin. Still not used to not calling them Thayer’s.

All in all a nice day, even if it was a little soggy.

Good birding,

Joshua
--
Joshua Little