Date: 10/26/18 7:09 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Common Gallinule- Sarpy Co.- Yes- 10/26
  I must admit I was highly skeptical when I heard the news of a juvenile Common Gallinule being discovered at LaPlatte Bottoms by the Padelfords..
  However, this evening while scanning Lake Cunningham I received a call from Sharla Meester.  Later she sent a photo confirming the observation.
  After a bit of delay, and weaving through Omaha traffic I found myself at LaPlatte Bottoms joined by the Padelfords, Sharla, and Dave Stage.
  Despite it becoming dark, the juvenile COMMON GALLINULE swam out of the reeds a few times following its dark-bodied white-billed "cousins."  At one point the bird came south toward us, but was never too far from the cover of the reeds.
  Apparently two separate birds were observed today.
  Other species included calling SORA, twenty-six (26) GREAT EGRETS, a WILSON'S SNIPE, and other waterfowl.
 The bird was observed to the northwest of the south intersection with Harlan-Lewis and LaPlatte Rd., south of Highway 34.
  Thanks to the Padelfords for finding this elusive state bird, and to Sharla for informing me of its presence.

Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!