Date: 10/26/18 3:30 pm
From: Steve Sanford <bwredbird...>
Subject: Finches etc at Mahaney - Sharpsville, Mercer Co
I went to the Mahaney Area (Shenango Lake) late this morning. To my
pleasant surprise there was a great deal of finch and other activity in
the fairly young piney woods with various trails along the road before
the soccer field. (By a 20 mph sign.)
I am fairly confident I saw and slightly heard some Pine Siskins, but
they were short looks at 2 large flocks coming off the pines not too close.
Some of the definite birds before the soccer field, with rough numbers were:
Red-breasted Nuthatch 10+
White-breasted Nuthatch 3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Fox Sparrow 1
White-throated Sparrow ~10
Dark-eyed Junco 2  (first of season)
Red-winged Blackbird ~100 (~70 in one flyover)
Purple Finch 1
American Goldfinch ~50-75

And at the HQ area:
Brown Creeper 1 (FOS)