Date: 10/26/18 1:54 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Wood Dale Reservoir, Techny Basin & Techny North Of Willow Friday 10-26-18
Hello Bird People,

Started the day at the Wood Dale Reservoir but found only the most
common birds. Stopped at Lake Opeka & Axehead Lake on the way home but
found only Canada Geese & Mallards. Then I covered Techny Basin &
Techny North & did a bit better there especially at Techny North but
still had nothing special. There are days like this!

Wood Dale Reservoir (7:30-9:15 a.m.)

Actual Reservoir

Great Blue Heron (2), Canada Geese (73), Mallard (12), Ring Billed
(14) & Herring (1) Gulls

Western Wetlands

Water level is perfect for shorebirds but had only Killdeer.

Great Blue Heron (3), Great Egret (1), Mallard (10), Killdeer (9),
Ring Billed (19) & Herring Gull (1) & Crows (2).
(The Herring Gull was the same one as at the reservoir.)

Land Birds

Mourning Doves, Downy Woodpecker, Blue Jays, Eastern Bluebird (heard
1), Robins,
Song Sparrows, Red Wings, Goldfinches & House Sparrows.

Techny Basin (11:20-noon)

Again good shorebird habitat but zero shorebirds.

D.C. Cormorant (8), Great Blues (4), Great Egret (1), Canada Geese
(14), Mallard (12),
Cooper's Hawk (1), Ring Billed Gull (3), Rock Pigeon (1), Robin (2) &
Goldfinch (3-4)

Techny North (12:10-12:40 p.m.)

Extensive mudflats but no shorebirds including Killdeer which are
almost always here.

D.C.Cormorant (2), Great Egret (1, has been here since July), Canada
Geese (15),
Wood Duck (1-PR), Mallard (65), Gadwall (9), Green Wing Teal (4),
Bufflehead (1-PR)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (1 each), Kingfisher (1), Mourning Dove
(1), Palm Warbler (1),
Y.R. Myrtle Warbler (2) & Goldfinch (4)

Of today's birds nothing really stands out but I'll go with the
Cooper's Hawk for
Bird-Of-The-Day & the Green Wing Teal for Runner-Up.

Saw a Minnesota license plate with a Pheasant on it which I've never
seen before & I thought I might use that Pheasant as Bird-Of-The-Day
but I guess not.

Al Stokie
In DuPage & Cook Co's today not finding much

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: