Date: 10/26/18 11:29 am
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] N. Shrikes - Centennial (Arapahoe)
By local standards, it was a birdy morning around west Centennial
(Arapahoe). I saw a Northern Shrike at Willow Spring Open Space and, later,
nearby Holly Park. Could be the same bird, but perhaps there are two in the
area. Most winters, at least one Northern Shrike can be found at Willow
Spring. Lincoln's and Swamp Sparrows (one each) at Willow Spring were
highlights, as were the several Say's Phoebes still in the area. Townsend's
Solitaires were also at both locations. Many House Finches and Song
Sparrows. Oh, and a Wilson's Snipe in mud along the Little Dry Creek at
Holly Park. These birds prefer the expansive marsh at Willow Spring, and
this one flushed, seeming to fly off toward there, as I (unknowingly)
approached. A kestrel was perched above it -- would those birds take a bird
as bulky as a snipe?

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO