Date: 10/26/18 9:38 am
From: Shawneen Finnegan <shawneenfinnegan...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Is this a Harlan's Red-Tail at Fernhill?
As Bob Archer wrote, identifying Harlan’s can be quite hard. They are one of the more variable subspecies of the Red-tailed.

Below are additional articles by Jerry Liguori, and Jerry and Brian Sullivan who have studied Harlan’s both on the breeding grounds and elsewhere. Not all Harlan’s have banded primary tips. One has to use a variety of field marks and

Jerry has a blog post about a juvenile Harlan’s banded in NY and another article on Harlan’s in Birding and a few more.

http://hmana.blogspot.com/2014/07/historical-harlans-second-us-east-coast.html

http://publications.aba.org/birding_archive_files/v42n2p30.pdf

https://hawkwatch.org/blog/item/742-juvenile-harlan-s-tails

http://jerryliguori.blogspot.com/2013/11/harlans-traits.html

I believe this is a Harlan’s given the tail pattern being grayish with a darker band at the tip of the tail. I sent Kathy and Steve’s checklists to Jerry and Brian. So far I have heard back from Brian that it is an adult Harlan’s.

Shawneen Finnegan
Beaverton, OR

> On Oct 25, 2018, at 2:21 PM, Steve Nord <stevernord...> wrote:
>
> OBOL;
>
> I've also been wondering if the dark hawk that has been at Fernhill for about a week could be a "Harlan's Hawk. The hawk has been frustrating, in that it perches at a distance, but after many tries over the past week, got enough photos to examine this cool looking hawk. See my eBird report for photos:
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49432248
>
> In the ID article referenced by Bob Archer, there is mention that a Harlan's would have banded flight feathers, including banding on the primaries. The bird at Fernhill does not have banding on the primaries, they are all dark. That can be seen in the one blurry photo in my eBird report. I'm no expert, and this bird had me wondering about it's ID as well, but based on the article, seems this bird is a dark Red-tailed Hawk, with very interesting markings. I'm totally open to be talked out of it though, as I love 'Harlan's" Hawks.
>
> Good Birding
> Steve Nord
> Beaverton, OR.

Join us on Facebook!