Date: 10/26/18 7:17 am
From: Cuyler Stapelmann <cuylerstapelmann...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] eBird Breeding Bird Data (was New County eBird Reviewers Announcement)
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your input and your contributions to eBird. I agree that eBird has very valuable data beyond breeding codes. However I think an important qualifier was missed in my email regarding use of the data for consulting (e.g., biological studies for environmental impact reports). I use eBird data for many of the capital improvement projects that I work on to assist in complying with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and Fish and Game Code regulations that protect nesting birds. While no database can replace a nesting bird survey, having more data available regarding which species may be nesting at a site proposed for development would assist planners in addressing potential biological constraints earlier in the project development process. Whereas records in CNDDB are vetted before made available for public use but contains fewer records, eBird has many more records but the data should probably be scrutinized for accuracy before use. I guess my only point is that perhaps this is an underutilized function of eBird that has the potential to significantly contribute to the protection of nesting birds in a practical manner. My two cents anyway.

Cuyler
SB
> On Oct 25, 2018, at 9:48 PM, Jamie Chavez <almiyi...> wrote:
>
> I wanted to reply to Cuyler's comment below because it deserves some follow-up. Cuyler has found a good way to mine the information but I must disagree with the statement that, "Breeding bird data is probably the most valuable information eBird has to offer". This might be true IF the data were vetted but sadly it is not. eBirders can plug-in any breeding bird code they wish to at any time of the year for any species. Try opening a personal list in January and see how you can make an edit to enter "Nest with Eggs" for any species on your list. That is just beyond stupid.
>
> Review of BB data in checklists is not a function (currently) of the eBird review process, therefore, 99.9% of all breeding bird code entries ever entered have never been scrutinized for accuracy. I've seen all sorts of incorrect uses of BB codes. Since this data is not available as an output tool it doesn't really matter, but I've never understood why eBird would permit this if there wasn't a mechanism in place to validate what people are entering. If they ever do start using this gold mine it needs to be cleaned in a major way first.
>
> Jamie Chavez
> Santa Maria, CA
>

>> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:27 PM Cuyler Stapelmann <cuylerstapelmann...> wrote:
>
>> Breeding bird data is probably the most valuable information eBird has to offer to the consulting world, but it is not easy to access. I am interested to know if anyone has any insights. Thanks.
>>
>> Cuyler
>
>> SB_,_
>
> …
> --