Date: 10/25/18 4:25 pm
From: Naomi Lloyd via Groups.Io <naomi_kestrel=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Collins Lake area Coot, sparrows
The Thursday birders went to Collins Lake and the nearby Scotia-Glenville Bike/hike trail on a cold blustery day. At the lake an American Coot continues with hundreds of Canada Geese, a Pied-billed Grebe, and a few other common ducks. The bike trail is undergoing renovations and much of the brush edging the trail has been chopped down. That didn't seem to bother dozens of White-throated Sparrows, about a dozen White-throats including some striking adults, at least two Fox Sparrows, and Song and Field Sparrows. We did not find the Lincoln's Sparrows seen earlier this week, but so many birds constantly dove through the thick weeds that almost anything could have been there! Bill Lee said in his many years of birding there, this was the busiest he'd ever seen it.

If you're free on Thursday mornings, feel free to join us! We generally visit whatever spots have been busiest, plus a few locations that aren't practical to bring a formal field trip.

Naomi Lloyd
West Sand Lake