Date: 10/25/18 2:22 pm
From: Steve Nord <stevernord...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Is this a Harlan's Red-Tail at Fernhill?
OBOL;

I've also been wondering if the dark hawk that has been at Fernhill for
about a week could be a "Harlan's Hawk. The hawk has been frustrating, in
that it perches at a distance, but after many tries over the past week, got
enough photos to examine this cool looking hawk. See my eBird report for
photos:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49432248

In the ID article referenced by Bob Archer, there is mention that a
Harlan's would have banded flight feathers, including banding on the
primaries. The bird at Fernhill does not have banding on the primaries,
they are all dark. That can be seen in the one blurry photo in my eBird
report. I'm no expert, and this bird had me wondering about it's ID as
well, but based on the article, seems this bird is a dark Red-tailed Hawk,
with very interesting markings. I'm totally open to be talked out of it
though, as I love 'Harlan's" Hawks.

Good Birding
Steve Nord
Beaverton, OR.