Date: 10/25/18 1:04 pm
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Merlin and Dunlin at Centerton this morning
100% overcast and mist this morning at Craig State Fish Hatchery in Centerton. There is a lot of good mudflat habitat right now. The Dunlin I first saw October 19is still present. I was trying for a closer look when I noticed European Starlings and Brown-headed Cowbirds taking off from a big field just north of the hatchery. Scanning them, I came to a tree, on top of which was perched a Merlin. I did get some photographs, but with so little light, they donít amount to much. It appears to me to be a female of molting juvenile of the Taiga race, but the light was so poor I have to leave that with question marks. It was a Merlin anyway. Iíll put up a photo on facebook and yíall can weigh in if you wish. There was very little wind today, so also had great looks at Savannah Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, Song Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, etc. There were at least 25 American Pipits on one of the mudflats. Even in the overcast and mist, White-crowned Sparrows were in welcome chorus. The Savannahs have now come in in good numbers. A person could easily spend most of the day with just them, trying to figure out what part of North America they call home in summer.

Join us on Facebook!