Date: 10/25/18 11:27 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden Thursday 10-25-18
Hello Bird People,

It was like Winter birding today at the Botanic Garden. Except for
Robins & Starlings there were few birds & they were hard to find. I
finally ended up with 32 species but it was a battle to get that many.
I was joined by Adriana R from the Botanic Garden for the 1st hour but
then she had to get back to work. Here's my day list:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:15-11 a.m.)

Pied Billed Grebe (3, in the pond south of Evening Island)
D.C. Cormorant (1)
Great Blue Heron (3)
Great Egret (1 flying north)
Canada Geese (~200)
Wood Duck (8)
Mallard (38)
HOODED MERGANSER (1-M)
Killdeer (5)
Dunlin (1, did not stay long)
Herring Gull (1 fly-by)
Mourning Dove (3 fly-bys)
Kingfisher (1-F)
Red Bellied Woodpecker (1)
Hairy Woodpecker (1-F)
Blue Jay (7-8)
Crows (2 fly-bys)
Chickadee (6)
Winter Wren (1)
Ruby Crowned Kinglet (2)
Robins (~35)
Hermit Thrush (2)
Starling (~25, all in 1 group)
Cardinal (1-M)
Song Sparrow (4)
FOX SPARROW (2)
Swamp Sparrow (1)
White Crowned Sparrow (5)
Junco (2)
Red Winged Blackbird (8-10 with 3 males singing)
Goldfinch (12-15)
House Sparrow (few)
(No Cedar Waxwings, Siskins or Redpolls as of yet.)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the one well seen Fox Sparrow which was the 1st one
I'd seen this Fall.
Runner-Up to the Winter Wren & Fancy Pants Bird-Of-The-Day to the male
Hooded Merganser

License Plate Of The Day to one from New Hampshire seen at the Botanic Garden.
Also seen there was one from Oklahoma.

Al Stokie
Low key day at the CBG in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: