Date: 10/25/18 11:12 am
From: 'Mcmullen, Keith A CIV USARMY CEMVS (US)' <Keith.A.Mcmullen...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] IBET Out of Season Hummingbirds (no sightings)
Hi Lucy and IBET friends,

Not all RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRDS have left our great state just yet. According to eBird records, there are a few lingering Ruby-throats in several Illinois locations. I recall seeing reports from Saline, Champaign, Knox, Will, DuPage, Coles and Cook within the last few days. I'm certain I've missed a few as well.

Lucy is correct, though. Any hummingbird remaining should be studied closely as it could be a RUFOUS or one of the other western vagrants looking for a meal en route to their wintering grounds. Many western hummingbird species are spending the winter months in the Gulf Coast states and this isn't something new. It's been happening for years now and more and more light is being shed on this subject as more people report their sightings, whether it be via eBird or simply letting their local Audubon friends know.

Good birding and here's to wishing a Rufous drops into your yard soon :)

Keith McMullen

O'Fallon, IL

<Warbler7...>