Date: 10/25/18 10:03 am
From: Lucy De Lap <ldelap...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Out of Season Hummingbirds (no sightings)
This is in response to another listers question about the presence of hummingbirds in this area at this time of year.

Ruby-throated hummingbirds are gone for the year. My last date of sighting was October 2.

What's consuming your food is likely bees, ants and other nectar eaters.
However... hummingbird sightings are not unheard of well into late fall. I know this for a fact because I had a rufous hummingbird in my backyard from 11/6 to 11/15 in 2014. I reported it to the local Audubon group and then hosted a steady stream of admirers through its stay. It was quite cold that year, well below freezing every night. I put out a thawed feeder before dawn daily and he would go back and forth between his selected roost and the feeder throughout the day.

As a result, I always leave a feeder out until very late in the year, though I have not had a return visit since 2014. Still hoping...
Here's a link to a blog with photos by a fellow IBET member who had success seeing our visitor a couple of times. http://littlebirder.blogspot.com/ (You may have to page down quite a bit to find the appropriate time period.)

Lucy DeLapEast Dundee(Near the Fax River)Kane County

Join us on Facebook!