Date: 10/25/18 8:42 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Plover at Broughton Beach?
Equally as interesting although not nearly so sexy as the plover is the
female scaup also photographed by Duke but not identified as to species.
bob obrien

On Wednesday, October 24, 2018, Duke Tufty <dukedt...> wrote:
> Hi all,
> First post on OBOL. I was out at Broughton Beach again after work and
noticed a distinctive plover. I narrowed the ID down to either Pacific
Golden-Plover or American Golden-Plover. I went with American based on
sharp contrast between cap and supercilium, longer wings, and note in
Sibleys that juveniles can appear quite yellowish. I ruled out
Black-bellied plover based on size and shape of bill and lacking of
streaking on breast.
> I'm hoping that the collective wisdom of the list can confirm my
analysis, or help me understand where I went astray.
here: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49431824
> Thanks,
> Duke
>
> Duke Tufty