Date: 10/25/18 8:13 am
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Shrike/Owls Coos Birds of Late
Someone saw three shrikes in a few hours at Finley this past weekend. CBCs
with very high participation, Corvallis and Eugene, typically record one,
frequently none. This final third of October is when Northern Shrikes and
Rough-legged Hawks, both breeders in the Hudsonian zone, first appear
throughout western Oregon. Many keep moving. At the moment the jet stream
is coming on shore far to our north then going north to south almost to the
Gulf of Mexico. I realize birds don't migrate that high in the air, but it
may be long term weather patterns rather than a good breeding season up
north responsible for current high numbers of detections.
Fulmars were present in very high numbers off Newport in August this
year, a good two months ahead of average. Then there was the baffling
abundance of Sabine's Gulls on the early October pelagic trip.lpn

On Thursday, October 25, 2018, Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...> wrote:

> Norm Shorts reports one, possibly two, Burrowing Owls at Bandon Dunes Golf
> Course. They have been there at least since the 23rd. We had one overwinter
> there two winters ago and Norm said they have overwintered other years
> before he started working there but the word didn’t get out.
>
> On the 24th I saw another juvie N Shrike at the N Bend airport, the 3rd
> one this month. The last couple years I have only seen a single bird so
> looks like a good year for shrikes here on the south coast.
>
> Happy birding!
> Tim R
> Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!