Date: 10/24/18 7:14 pm
From: David Carlson <davincrow...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Loon ID - Cook Co.
Hi allFollowing up on the posting from Saturday, I visited McGinnis Slough (Cook Co.) early on Sunday morning, 10/21/18.  I saw mostly already reported ducks (American Wigeon in the sunrise), coots and other birds, but did hear Sora, Sandhill Crane and saw a FOY Dark Eyed Junco fly from the marsh to the trees, after showing southside Mike around.
I was looking through pictures again tonight and saw these of a bird that flew over towards the southeast right after I got out of the car.  It seemed smaller than a Common Loon, but I have not seen many Commons in flight and never a RT.  These are the best shots I got, but what looks to be a slightly upturned bill and a hint of red on the neck had me thinking this might have been a RT Loon.  Perhaps the one that Cary reported?  Maybe in transitional molt?
Any comments or opinions on this possibly being a Red Throated Loon would be appreciated.
All the best,David <W> CarlsonOrland Park

On ‎Saturday‎, ‎October‎ ‎20‎, ‎2018‎ ‎09‎:‎31‎:‎24‎ ‎AM‎ ‎CDT, Cary <bokmakierie...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...> wrote:

Hello, Huge surprise right now looking at a red-throated loon at McGinnis Slough (Cook co)

Cary Hillegonds
<Bokmakierie...>
Orland Park

Sent from XFINITY Connect App