Date: 10/24/18 7:09 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
Subject: [cobirds] Odd kingfisher at Fort Morgan, and DFO Big Year update - #350
Hi,

I'd welcome comment on this oddly plumaged female Belted Kingfisher (see
below) which we saw on our DFO field trip to Morgan County on Oct 23. She
was involved in intense chasing with another female at the pond at
Riverside Park in Fort Morgan, and was rarely out of motion. In the early
morning light I did not notice her coloration as she flew fast around the
area, but at a rare perched moment I grabbed a few digiscopes and see *two*
rusty bands, where the upper band is ordinarily blue. I don't recall seeing
this before, and some limited checking does not make reference to this
coloration. Dale Pate took a flight photo of the other female that was
involved with this one, and it shows a normal coloration.
This checklist has some recordings of the kingfishers, too (also with
traffic noise, Blue Jays, etc):
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49410395

We had a fun trip in Morgan County, then detoured to Boulder County for the
Fork-tailed Flycatcher. It was #350 for DFO's Big Year.
http://dfobirds.org/FieldTrips/Reports/AnnualChronological.aspx

DFO has lots of great trips coming up and many still with space available
for registration. All are free.
http://dfobirds.org/FieldTrips/UpcomingTrips.aspx

David Suddjian
Ken Caryl Valley