Date: 10/24/18 5:52 pm
From: Nicholas Mrvelj <nickmrvelj...>
Subject: [obol] Re: First of season Thayer's Gull, Tom McCall Waterfront Park
Lars,

The gulls have largely abandoned their rocky outcrop near the U of P as the
water levels have nearly submerged it all. For the past few weeks, I’ve
been averaging about ~150 Gulls each visitation. You could get quite close
to them as well. Had my first Thayer’s on October 3rd, a whopping six of
them, and have had one or two steadily for a few weeks now. Interesting to
hear where they disperse to on the Willamette come the end of October when
the water levels rise.

For those not in the know, the eBird hotspot “Harbor View Park” offers
excellent gull watching possibilities the first few weeks of October. As
fall slowly blends into winter, the gulls largely migrate over to the west
side of the Willamette in the vicinity of the dump. They are viewable, but
from a distance and with difficulty. Several hundred gulls winter in this
area, and can be viewed rather consistently.

Best,
-Nick

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:19 PM Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
wrote:

> 30 gulls present at 4pm Oct. 23. Nearly all adult Glaucous-winged. One
> adult Western, one adult California, two immature Olympics on the G-wing
> end of the scale, one third year Olympic closer to Western. Thayer's was a
> 1st year bird. It and the California flew in after l arrived, then left. If
> I went back with bread l might see twice as many gulls. Many are loafing on
> the Hawthorne Bridge, water mid-channel, maybe rooftops.lpn

Join us on Facebook!