Date: 10/24/18 2:55 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan, Illinois Beach South & North Point Marina Wed 10-14-18
Hello Bird People,

Started at Waukegan with Bob Erickson & we were joined by Annette
McClellan. For the 1st time in a while we found no Dunlin on the beach
or pier but we were saved from a "shorebird shutout" when Annette
spotted a Wilson's Snipe flying around by the inlet where it landed.
Good job Annette!

Waukegan Beach (7:15-8:15 a.m.)

Canada Geese (24), Mallard (4) & Gadwall (2)
Wilson's Snipe (1)
Ring Billed (~40) & Herring (~20) Gulls
Red Winged Blackbird (8)

Illinois Beach South (8:30-11:15 a.m.)

Bob & I picked today to walk all the way in to the permit area Pines &
Swales & so we were about 2 miles in when Bob got a text message from
Andy Stewart saying he had found a Harlequin Duck at North Point
Marina. Needless to say it would be a while before we could get there.

Beach Only

Canada Geese (8) & Bufflehead (12 fly-bys)
Merlin (1)
Crows (11)
Lapland Longspur (H-1) & Snow Bunting (1)

South Pines

Red Bellied Woodpecker (2), Blue Jays, Chickadee (3), R.B. Nuthatch
(4), Creeper (1), G.C. (1) & R.C. (1) Kinglets & Eastern Bluebird
(4).,

South Swales

Tree Sparrow (6) & Eastern Meadowlark (1)
(No Short Eared Owls which is what we were looking for,)
Remember that both the South Pines & South Swales are off limits
unless you have a permit.

North Point Marina (11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. & 1 p.m.-1:30 p.m.)

Finally got to North Point Marina well after Andy's sighting. The
Harlequin was supposed to be by the rock wall near the fishing pier
but it wasn't there for us. Looked as best we could along all the
rocks south of the fishing pier with no luck but if the duck was north
of there you wouldn't be able to see it unless it was all the way to
the mouth of the harbor by the yacht club. It was not there! Also
wasn't seen from State Line Beach. Out of ideas we went to lunch &
came back later.

When I returned Bob was talking to Phil D from Rockford who had just
arrived. They had had no luck with the Harlequin but as soon as I
walked up to them I spotted the HARLEQUIN DUCK as it flew north with a
full head of steam. I normally don't like "fly-bys" for a year bird
but this one was so close to shore that we had great looks although
brief ones. Steve Huggins arrived a few min later & we all looked
again at the harbor mouth & State Line Beach but could not re-find the
duck. Steve stayed to keep looking but the duck went by quickly &
looked like it was heading to Wisconsin. This bird will probably be
seen again either at North Point Marina or even the Waukegan fishing
pier as those are the prime spots for this species.

Also seen were 1 PEREGRINE on the north rock wall of the harbor, an
adult Cooper's Hawk by the parking lot & 11 SNOW BUNTINGS on the
ground south of the fishing pier.
I must admit I was pretty luck today as had I arrived 5 min later the
duck would have flown by before I got there. No complaining about bad
luck for a while anyway!

Bird-Of-The-Day to the female Harlequin Duck & Runners-Up to the
Peregrine, the well seen Snow Buntings & the Snipe.

Al Stokie
Counting my blessings in N.E. Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: