Date: 10/24/18 11:49 am
From: Ron Rovansek <rrovansek...>
Subject: Re: hummingbird today in southern Delaware (Sussex County)
Rob,
I am not saying your ID was in any way questionable, I'll just point out that the critical field mark of all Rufous/Allen's/Calliope/Broadtailed Hummingbirds is the presence of rufous color in the tail feathers between the black and white. Check your field guide for a better description. Many of these rare hummingbirds may lack rufous in the back and the buffy color on the flanks can be hard to separate from the similar buffy color on some Rubythroats, but the rufous in the tail should always be present and is diagnostic.

If you find a Blackchinned hummingbird it better be an adult male or you probably won't be able to distinguish it from a Rubythroat.

Ron Rovansek
Centre County