Date: 10/24/18 5:06 am
From: Daniel Scheiman <birddan...>
Subject: Re: Reporting birds
Glennšs great questions and the helpful responses seem to blend three
different types of reporting.

1. Listing ­ You can make your own rules for what to count on your life
list. If you want to count a bird you saw via a drone or web cam, that is
your call. If you want your list to be comparable to others then play by the
ABA recording rules DeLynn mentioned
http://listing.aba.org/aba-recording-rules/. The rules prohibit remotely
sensed birds and captive birds.

2. eBird checklist submission ­ if you are going to use eBird you have to
play by eBirdšs rules, as Patty pointed out. These are important for certain
underlying assumptions analysts make about the data. No remotely sensed
birds. A species later identified by a photo you or someone else took is
fine, the same as for ABA listing, though if you didnšt notice the species
while in the field then you probably shouldnšt count it on your life list.
When birding at a banding station keep two simultaneous lists ­ one for
unrestrained birds using the Traveling or Stationary protocol, and the other
for netted birds using the Banding protocol (under Other).

3. General reporting to a listserv or Bird Records Committee ­ Remotely
sensed birds, dead birds, netted birds, birds in other peoplešs photos are
all fine for letting the birding community know of an extralimital or
extra-seasonal record. A few years ago someone posted to the listserv that
Golden Eagles were regularly showing up at camera traps in the Ozarks,
alerting us all to a phenomenon we didnšt know was happening. It is then up
to the BRC whether to accept the record.

Webcams can have a purpose beyond entertainment. The latest issue of Living
Bird magazine describes Cornellšs plans to use webcams for citizen science;
they even asked followers to submit potential research questions that could
be answered while watching a Red-tailed Hawk nest cam.

Dan Scheiman
Little Rock, AR

On 10/23/18, 3:44 PM, "The Birds of Arkansas Discussion List on behalf of
Glenn" <ARBIRD-L...> on behalf of
<000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...> wrote:

Maybe this is more of an eBird question, but I think it is a birding
community question. What can I officially "report" as having seen, bird
wise? For instance:

1. If I went up to where they are tagging Northern Saw-whet Owls, it is my
understanding I couldn't claim having seen one because it wasn't in the
wild. Even though it was in the wild the second it was released. Is that
correct? I know that in south Louisiana they go out in the evenings and try
to catch and tag Yellow and Black Rails and I bet those get reported. So
I'm really confused why a netted bird that gets tagged and immediately
released isn't reportable.

2. What if I take a photo of a flock of Greater White-fronted Geese, and
later while looking at the photos I spot 2 Cackling Geese in the photo. Can
I claim those even though I didn't "see" them while I was there but my
camera did?

3. Here is a question my wife had that led to this post. What if I had a
drone with a camera on it. If I flew that drone into the swamp and saw an
Anhinga through the camera, is that reportable? This seems like a
reasonable question now that drones are so readily available. Especially
because if the answer to question 2 is a yes, then what difference is there
if the camera is being held by hand or not?

4. Depending on the answer to question 3 - if the answer was yes, I could
report a drone spotted bird then how about a remote camera? Sabal Palm
Sanctuary in Brownsville, Texas has a bird camera where anyone can log on
and watch to see what wild birds show up at their feeders. I bet everybody
would say those birds are not reportable. But why not? They were in their
natural wild state, what difference is there if the camera is 600 miles away
or in my hand?

I only ask these things because I want to make sure I'm doing the right
thing when reporting birds.

Glenn Wyatt
Cabot

Join us on Facebook!