Date: 10/23/18 11:04 pm
From: ndrilling <dril0008...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Re: Why does NE Iowa lack breeding Northern Saw-whet Owls?
99.9% of saw-whets nest in extensive conifer (mostly pine) forests. NE Iowa
doesn't have that. Rarely, they nest in deciduous forests, especially in
cottonwoods along streams, but this is usually a one-time attempt. So they
probably have attempted to nest in Iowa, but not often.

Nancy Drilling
Rapid City, SD