Date: 10/23/18 6:45 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Northern Goshawk- Scottsbluff Co. (belated) & Swifts
  As the subject implies, I found a juvenile NORTHERN GOSHAWK at the Gering Cemetery (Scottsbluff Co.) on 10/20.  The bird was very large, bulky and suggested a female.  I was able to obtain a few shots of the bird which can be viewed here...
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S49320417
  Later in the day I also observed a RED-NECKED GREBE below the dam at Lake Ogallala.

Mercer Woods-
 While we are on the subject of "belated", CHIMNEY SWIFTS are still being observed in small numbers over Midtown Omaha.  Yesterday evening three (3) SWIFTS were observed above Mercer Woods.
This evening 10/23 I observed a single CHIMNEY SWIFT around 6:30pm.  This appears to be one of the best areas in the city for spotting late swifts as many chimneys in the Bemis Park district have yet to be capped.  Evening, around twilight seems to be the optimal time as these tardy swifts are looking for a place to roost.
  In 2017 SWIFTS were observed until 10/20.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!