Date: 10/23/18 6:01 pm
From: Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] La Cumbre Peak
I took a trip to La Cumbre Peak this morning.  On the way up Gibraltar Road, signs were going up and work crews were gathering on East Camino Cielo at the point were the dirt road (gated ) goes down to the Reservoir.  I was able to bird the Peak but trucks and equipment were gathering there by 10 a.m., so I left for the Communications station down the road.  Several large trucks carrying asphalt etc. were going by on ECC and I followed some down the length of the Road when I left.  Just before the Painted Cave turnoff, a Road Closed sign had gone up there too.  From marks on the pavement and other signs, I think they may be putting a new cap on ECC from the Gibraltar Dam Road to the Peak (much needed!) and thus this situation is going to persist for at least a couple of weeks.
Back to the birds.  It was a lovely morning, and though bird activity wasn't high, the quality was good.  I had a Steller's Jay, Red & White-breasted Nuthatches, Townsend's Solitaire (great look at it!), 3 Hermit Thrushes, and one Ruby-crowned Kinglet, plus an assortment of chaparral birds.    The communications station was very quiet, but I had another Steller's Jay there, another Hermit Thrush, Golden-crowned Sparrows, and one Yellow-rumped Warbler.  The Madrone Bushes behind the station are loaded with berries this year, but there were no takers during the time I watched.
Florence Sanchez

View/Reply Online (#27819): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27819
-=-=-
-=-=-