Date: 10/23/18 5:56 pm
From: Sean S <therefromhere168...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Re: New England Cottontail
Guess this will finish up this non-bird discussion but I received a reply
from Cory Stearns at the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. He
shared this info:

This rabbit was released as part of Maine’s translocation program. He was
born at Queen’s Zoo in New York this summer, and was released at Two Lights
SP on 9/21/18. Being born in captivity he is probably just used to having
people around, so he didn’t perceive you as a threat until you were very
close to him.

So it's a New England Cottontail, not an Eastern, and there's an article
about their recent southern Maine re-introduction program:
https://www.pressherald.com/2018/10/07/the-bunny-hope/

(thanks to Scott Richardson for the link)

I hope it can somehow avoid the Gray Foxes which are crazy prolific around
here. Been seeing families of Grays all season, and I snapped some pics
of a very well-fed looking bunch dining on fermented crab apples on
someone's lawn in broad daylight a short time ago.

Sean Smith