Date: 10/23/18 5:36 pm
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: Reporting birds
Hopefully Dan Scheiman will reply as he'll have ALL the answers to this.
:)  I'll give my thoughts though.

1. I THINK you can report them to Ebird(I don't know) but you can't
count them (officially) as a bird you've seen for the ABA countable
stuff. If you were doing a Big Year, for instance, a netted bird would
not count. It's weird... I THINK once it is let go if it's in the wild
or a certain amount of time and you still see it, it's countable. I know
that birds in a net, even while being released just don't "officially"
make it to your life list...

2. As far as Ebird goes, I'd say sure you can count those. You can even
count those on your official life lists because you technically, with
your own eyes, saw them. In fact, sometimes I take pictures of snow
geese flocks to see if I can find some Ross' in there later on. You can
definitely report such birds to Ebird because you saw them and they were
present where you were.

3. I have no idea. I think if it was something rare enough, I'd report
it no matter what as they'd want that data. As far as your "official"
life list goes, I'm not sure that would count because you didn't
actually SEE it yourself.
Side note: As much as I've been tempted to do this sort of thing(not
that I have a drone, and I'd like to throw rocks at the ones people have
flown to stare at me) I don't recommend birding this way. Drones are
noisy and obnoxious and would be bothersome to most birds.

4. I'd say no on this. Obviously you can't count it on your own life
list because you didn't actually see it in person. I mean, you can't
count birds in zoos even if you're there.  I would not report the birds
to Ebird, even if they were super rare. Ebird could get flooded with
reports from people that didn't see such a bird in person and it would
skew the data, I believe.  If you saw something rare enough, someone
else will have seen it and report it for Ebird but you could always
contact Ebird or the host of the camera and the info will get reported.
Most of those cameras save a certain amount of data.

Hopefully, again, Dan Scheiman will weigh in on it but, this is how I
see it.

Daniel Mason