Date: 10/23/18 3:21 pm
From: plm108 <plm108...>
Subject: Re: Reporting birds
Intriguing questions, Glenn, and I think you might get multiple answers, all of which carry some level of credence. Technology, photography, and eBird have certainly changed the fundamentals and dynamics of what gets reported. I look at it personally and decide for myself in different situations and with only a few hard and fast rules. This can include species as well as numbers of each. When it's a common species that was captured in a photo or audio that I might have missed in the field, i would likely count it. But if it's a rarity or my first one for the year, i would want to see it before I would personally count it (ex, chickadee vs shearwater). I think eBird doesn't care if you see or hear a bird as long as you were physically there. They primarily want to know about its presence and your effort, so adding it to your list even if it was only discovered in a photo you took furthers that data. Some might say absolutely not and others would say why not!?! Here's info from eBird on remote cameras etc: No Remote Sensed Images or Video NestCams and FeederCams are not appropriate for eBird. The differences in detection rates between what you can see or hear over a video feed, differs greatly from what you can detect in the field. Right now eBird does not have a good way to examine these differences. Please do not enter any data from nest cameras, feeder cameras, or videos of people traveling around filming birds. (This surely includes drones etc ... but if you locate a rarity via a remote camera, please let us know via ARBIRD.) What Counts​Fledglings, ducklings, gosling, nestlings and baby birds of all types count. Eggs do not count.Introduced species should be reported,but will count on your lists. In the future we plan to give the option to selectively remove these species from selected lists.Only include living birds. In the long run we hope to gather information on dead birds, but at this point eBird is intended only for living birds.Do not report captive birds. You may report wild birds you see at outdoor zoos, but do not include caged birds, pinioned waterfowl, or birds that are part of the collection. As a general rule, birds at zoos that are not known to be wild should not be reported....A netted bird for banding purposes is considered reportable whereas a captive bird is not. Ebird has a section on Banding Protocol here: https://help.ebird.org/customer/portal/articles/1385631.But everyone has their own standard and some folks have been keeping a life list, state list, county list far longer than I have. I'd be curious to know if their personal standards have changed as photography, technology and eBird have advanced our field experiences. Patty McLean, Atlanta GASent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Glenn <000001214b3fcb01-dmarc-request...> Date: 10/23/18 3:44 PM (GMT-06:00) To: <ARBIRD-L...> Subject: Reporting birds Maybe this is more of an eBird question, but I think it is a birding community question.  What can I officially "report" as having seen, bird wise?  For instance:1.  If I went up to where they are tagging Northern Saw-whet Owls, it is my understanding I couldn't claim having seen one because it wasn't in the wild.  Even though it was in the wild the second it was released.  Is that correct?  I know that in south Louisiana they go out in the evenings and try to catch and tag Yellow and Black Rails and I bet those get reported.  So I'm really confused why a netted bird that gets tagged and immediately released isn't reportable.2.  What if I take a photo of a flock of Greater White-fronted Geese, and later while looking at the photos I spot 2 Cackling Geese in the photo.  Can I claim those even though I didn't "see" them while I was there but my camera did?3.  Here is a question my wife had that led to this post.  What if I had a drone with a camera on it.  If I flew that drone into the swamp and saw an Anhinga through the camera, is that reportable?  This seems like a reasonable question now that drones are so readily available.  Especially because if the answer to question 2 is a yes, then what difference is there if the camera is being held by hand or not?4.  Depending on the answer to question 3 - if the answer was yes, I could report a drone spotted bird then how about a remote camera?  Sabal Palm Sanctuary in Brownsville, Texas has a bird camera where anyone can log on and watch to see what wild birds show up at their feeders.  I bet everybody would say those birds are not reportable.  But why not?  They were in their natural wild state, what difference is there if the camera is 600 miles away or in my hand?I only ask these things because I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing when reporting birds.Glenn WyattCabot

Join us on Facebook!