Date: 10/23/18 12:25 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (22 Oct 2018) 147 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 17:30:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Alida Cutts, Hilde Cox, Sue McLaughlin, Kathleen Pileggi, and
Margretta Brokaw
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny - Sunny (50-0% cloud cover), Ceiling - 30,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 35 - 52F, Winds SW @ 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (63) and Turkey Vultures (80).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-3; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-0; adult-9
<BR><BR>
----Golden Eagle ages: Imma.-1; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ 1PFB. What?? Day 1, post “field brew.” The legend of
what was “field brew’ having been swept away in that wind storm, along with
my camp-fire stove drip coffee maker. Thus bringing a sudden, and oh so
tragic end to the field ornithologist’s beverage of choice. Wawa coffee
will have to somehow do the trick. It’s a sad day here at the site, to be
sure.
<BR><BR>
Siskins were creating a ruckus, splashing around in our water feature.
Then suddenly, there it was, the season’s first GOLDEN EAGLE [FOY], an
immature circling with some vultures. I contacted Ashland, as it had
drifted in their general direction, but they did not see it.
<BR><BR>
A Mockingbird bathed and a male Downy Woodpecker drank at our fabulous
“water feature” – both firsts. Sue received full-partial credit for
discovering a Tennessee Warbler at the “water feature.” As she left, Sue
discovered a Merlin feeding on a bid on a snag.
<BR><BR>
“You’re hot today, Sue!” I said.
<BR><BR>
“Excuse me, but I’ve always been ‘HOT!’” Sue replied.
<BR><BR>
Later, I had 4 Bald Eagles in the sky at once, vocalizing. Near the end of
the day, the water feature struck again with the appearance of the fall’s
first American Tree Sparrow who promptly took a bath, yet another first.
WOW! You’re not the only one that’s hot, Sue. Bucktoe is “HOT” too, on
this cold fall day!
<BR><BR>
Kathleen was out and while here relayed an update on the Snapping Turtle
which had been injured at the Giant supermarket. It recovered and was
released! Nice job, guys! And to top it off, property owner Margretta was
out with Poly [dog]. It was a cold, yet “HOT” day at Bucktoe! And YAY –
our first GOLDEN EAGLE!!
<BR><BR>
We identified 54 species at Bucktoe today. Better birds included Bald
Eagle, GOLDEN EAGLE, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Cooper’s Hawk, Red-shouldered
Hawk, American Kestrel, Merlin, COMMON RAVEN, American Pipit, Horned Lark,
Palm Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Rusty Blackbird, American Tree Sparrow,
White-crowned Sparrow, Savannah Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
New for this year’s “hawk watch area” species list was GOLDEN EAGLE and
American Tree Sparrow. [138 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, American Pipit, Horned Lark, Palm Warbler, Tennessee Warbler,
Rusty Blackbird, American Tree Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow, Savannah
Sparrow, Pine Siskin, and Purple Finch.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (5): Cabbage White, Clouded Sulphur,
Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.62; Steps: 10,844; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 138
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):” GOLDEN
EAGLE and American Tree Sparrow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it already happened, due to computer
"issues."
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: