Date: 10/23/18 9:31 am
From: Carol Muth <suzmuth...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Monday 22 Oct- Jonesboro-Roque Bluffs- huge sparrow migration
At 9:15 in the morning we drove from Johnson Cove Rd via Roque Bluffs Rd to
Great Cove Rd ending at Rte 1 - and between 4:00 and 5:00pm returning the
same route and adding Roque Bluffs State Park to boat launch at Long Pond
--all along the way, morning and later- many many many small flocks of
sparrows, 80%- 90% DEJU, WTSP, the remainder Tree Sparrows, and
White-crowned with (at the park) Savannah Sparrows.
We have never seen this many sparrows at one time in one area ever.
There were probably thousands, but since it was difficult to count, the
birds being in the shrubs when not on the gravel at the roadside, I will
say, at the very least, hundreds of birds. The Juncos were especially
overwhelming in their numbers all along the way. Sometimes every few
hundred yards a flock of them.
It was an astonishing experience for us.We didn't have opportunity to
stop in the morning (having a scheduled appt.) but on the way back we
stopped several times (the road is narrow with many glacial moraine "dips"
so it is difficult to park without causing a dangerous situation for the
infrequent traffic which doesn't usually include parked birders. Roque
Bluffs State Park had shadows, but in the sunny spots the birds were there
along Schoppee Rd.
On busy Rte 1 the traffic must have scattered the flocks because there
weren't many to be seen.
I thought I would see many reports of this today. Did no one else have
these sparrows in abundance?