Date: 10/23/18 8:07 am
From: Patrick Comins via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Northeast Region NWR proposed Boardwalk at Stewart B McKinney Great Meadow Stratford
Thank you Craig:
I just wrote the following letter to Director Weber on behalf of the Connecticut Audubon Society. I hope everyone who birds this area will follow suit:

Dear Wendi:

I hope all is well with you. It has come to our attention that the Service is considering installing a boardwalk at the Great Meadows Unit of the Stewart B McKinney Refuge in Stratford. The Connecticut Audubon Society strongly supports this proposal. The Great Meadows Unit of the McKinney Refuge is a natural treasure in the highly urbanized landscape of Fairfield County. To improve public access to this area, which simultaneously protecting the sensitive plant resources that occur here would greatly enhance the opportunity for the public to connect to the National Wildlife Refuge System in Connecticut. It is particularly important from a public access perspective in light of its proximity to Connecticut's largest city, Bridgeport.

We greatly appreciate the increased access that has already been provided through Rick Potvin's leadership of the Refuge in the past few years. The area in question would greatly enhance the nature experience available to residents of the Milford/Stratford/Bridgeport area. I had the good fortune of doing bird surveys in this area when I worked for as a biological technician for the Connecticut Audubon Society and McKinney Refuge in the 1990's and to this day some of my best birding experiences in Connecticut have been from this place and time. You never knew what you would find flitting around the wet woodland on a spring or fall morning.

While there are many places to observe birds in migration in Connecticut, this particular trail will always be a special and unique place because its function as a habitat oasis in a highly suburbanized landscape. Few other places that I am aware of offer the opportunity to see eye-level views of species such as Cerulean, Cape May and Bay-breasted Warblers, or Scarlet Tanagers fly catching inches from your head, a Sedge Wren flitting in the reeds, Long-billed Dowitchers or Stilt Sandpipers foraging in a drying pond in the fall or Least Bitterns sitting motionless at the edge of the water awaiting their next meal. It is truly a special place and one which the Connecticut Audubon Society looks forward to more fully utilizing as a tool to inspire more people to conserve the nature of Connecticut in the Future. I sincerely hope this comes to pass. Thank you so much for the opportunity to provide input to this very important process.

Founded in 1898 and representing more than 7,000 members statewide the Connecticut Audubon Society is an independent organization that conserves Connecticut's environment through science-based education and advocacy focused on the state's bird populations and habitats.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins
Executive Director, The Connecticut Audubon Society

314 Unquowa Road
Fairfield, CT 06824
203-259-0416 x107
www.ctaudubon.org