Date: 10/22/18 10:40 pm
From: Linda Berkemeier <linda.berkemeier...>
Subject: [obol] Buffleheads at Mt Tabor 10/22/18
My favorite sight in the reservoir just off 60th Ave at Mt Tabor has returned. There were nine mixed male and female that stayed in a small grouping that submerged and returned simultaneously over and over in almost the same spot at 9:30 this morning.

Without my binoculars, I could not identify, but it was easy to see that a larger dark duck shape was was their midst, never submerging. It appeared to have white facial mark like that of a female white scoter. The only other waterfowl present were mallards.

If this unidentified duck was a female bufflehead, it was much larger and not behaving in the same manner as the obvious buffleheads.

Friday there were 13 Canada sp. geese that landed in the heavy fog at 9 am. They cackled on their way in.

About ten days ago, a single sandpiper worked the concrete reservoir slope at water’s edge on at least three mornings. I would like to say it was a non-breeding Spotted Sandpiper. I have some very bad video if anyone is interested.

Linda Berkemeier
SE Portland

Sent from my iPhonePOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!