Date: 10/22/18 12:50 pm
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- Little Blue Heron (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)
- Swainson's Thrush (1 report)
- Clay-colored Sparrow (1 report)
- Brewer's Sparrow (1 report)
- Blue Grosbeak (1 report)

Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea) (1)
- Reported Oct 22, 2018 11:05 by Karen Rusch
- Goleta Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4171771,-119.829812&ll=34.4171771,-119.829812
- Comments: "On far bank just below where BEKI nests were earlier this year. Foraging in shallow water. Known bird at this location. Bluish gray and same size as Snowy Egret. "

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1)
- Reported Oct 21, 2018 14:20 by Robert Long
- Andree Clark Bird Refuge, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4215353,-119.6572856&ll=34.4215353,-119.6572856
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Spotted Along Northside of Park Along Rail"

Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus) (3)
- Reported Oct 21, 2018 13:45 by John Doty
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "No contrast between back and rail; spots on breast low contrast; eye ring"

Clay-colored Sparrow (Spizella pallida) (4)
- Reported Oct 21, 2018 09:13 by Cuyler Stapelmann
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Campground, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0488223,-119.5624803&ll=34.0488223,-119.5624803
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Spizellas with pale lores, strongly contrasting facial markings, and unstreaked gray nape that contrasted with buffy breast. On my way up the canyon, I had one at the beach and then two at the upper campground in the same view. When I got back to the beach, I had two in the same view. To rule out I had not double counted, I walked back up to the upper campground and had one bird. Unless the fourth bird moved between the beach and upper campground, which I highly doubt, there were a total of four clay-colored sparrows.

One bird near the beach was markedly more contrasting than the other, but had a grayer breast. The other bird near the beach had more buffy tones and was extremely confiding; it would actually land within 5 feet of me to forage, offering great views and opportunities to study it."

Brewer's Sparrow (Spizella breweri) (1)
- Reported Oct 21, 2018 09:13 by Cuyler Stapelmann
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Campground, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0488223,-119.5624803&ll=34.0488223,-119.5624803
- Comments: "Feeding with two clay colored sparrows and several chipping sparrows in the upper campground. Dark lores and less contrasting markings than clay colored. There may have been a second Brewer’s sparrow but there were so many spizellas in different plumages that I couldn’t be 100% positive."

Blue Grosbeak (Passerina caerulea) (1)
- Reported Oct 22, 2018 08:03 by John Callender
- Santa Monica Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4070435,-119.5278168&ll=34.4070435,-119.5278168
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Female/juvenile. Warm brown overall, light wingbars, large beak. Made “tink” call; flicked tail repeatedly at times."

View/Reply Online (#27810): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/27810
-=-=-
-=-=-
Group Owner: main+<owner...>