Date: 10/22/18 12:14 pm
From: Richard Hollis <xiboia...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Why does NE Iowa lack breeding Northern Saw-whet Owls?
I got to thinking the other day about Saw-whet Owls. Both MN and WI have summer records. Further East, I have heard them in the mountains of Maryland in May. Talking to a friend who manages a the Mary Gray Bird Sanctuary for Indiana Audubon. They have them calling in the summer. Mary Gray is 200 + miles S of NE Iowa.

Why do we have none?

Rick Hollis
rural North Liberty IA

319 665 3141