Date: 10/22/18 11:01 am
Subject: Interesting sightings from northern Watauga County, NC—Oct 22, 2018
Birders,

I had a first year Blackpoll Warbler today on my property in northern Watauga County. Only the second or third one I’ve seen here in the fall (in 10 years) and quite late too.

Also first of the season Purple Finch and Hermit Thrush.

Complete list follows.

Good birding,

Merrill Lynch

Echo Valley Farm
Oct 22, 2018
12:00 PM
Traveling
0.75 miles
90 Minutes
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: Submitted from eBird for iOS, version 1.8.1 Build 4

3 Wood Duck -- 1 male and 2 females flushed from small pond on my property.
2 Mourning Dove
1 Turkey Vulture
1 Red-tailed Hawk
1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker
3 Downy Woodpecker
1 Hairy Woodpecker
2 Pileated Woodpecker
5 Blue-headed Vireo -- At least 2 birds singing.
7 Blue Jay
5 American Crow
1 Common Raven
4 Carolina Chickadee
4 Tufted Titmouse
5 White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern)
2 Carolina Wren
2 Golden-crowned Kinglet
2 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1 Hermit Thrush -- First of the season for my property.
3 American Robin
2 European Starling
1 Cedar Waxwing
4 Purple Finch (Eastern) -- First of the season for my property.
2 American Goldfinch
4 Field Sparrow
1 Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)
5 Song Sparrow
1 Eastern Towhee (Red-eyed)
1 Blackpoll Warbler -- A rare fall migrant at my location and somewhat late. Seen very well at close range as it foraged fairly low to ground with small group of kinglets. Close enough to see bright yellow legs and feet! Wingbars, whitish undertail coverts, pale yellowish breast with indistinct streaking.

Number of Taxa: 30

Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga County, NC