Date: 10/21/18 9:01 pm
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Let's play name that subspecies
My caveat is that photos never replace seeing the birds, but:

All have blocky heads.
All appear about the same size.
Bills are about the same size.
I think I see one adult and the rest are first-year birds, which might
explain the different shading.
But shade on back is all about the same.
Minima can be light, but usually are darker than these, with very stubby
bills.
If one was notably smaller, I would take a closer look.
They do have nice white band.
Aleutians can have a purple sheen, the ODFW guide marks it down as a trait.
I would put all down as Aleutian, one adult two juvies based on scalloping
on the back.

Bob Archer
PDX

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 7:16 PM David Irons <llsdirons...> wrote:

> Three of the four birds in these photos show breast and back patterns
> consistent with Aleutians. The squarish head shapes are also n
> more consistent with Aleutians, but they don’t seem to have particularly
> pronounced forecrowns. The one outlier is the darker breasted bird. This
> pattern is only seen on minima Cackling Geese, but in this case it seems a
> bit paler than normal. I have to wonder if Ridgway’s (minima) X Aleutian is
> a possibility here.
>
> Dave Irons
> Beaverton, OR
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 21, 2018, at 4:33 PM, Mike Patterson <celata...> wrote:
> >
> > Lot's of geese going by this morning on the Lower Columbia.
> > There were 10 feeding on the lawn at the Historical Area of
> > Ft Stevens. Can you name the subspecies?
> >
> > --
> > Mike Patterson
> > Astoria, OR
> > That question...