Date: 10/21/18 8:57 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Curry Birds Today 10/21/18
Been running around with family and multiple dogs having fun on south coast
the past few days. Early today we were at Cape Blanco in pea soup fog with
winds 15-20 mph. After donning full winter gear (raincoats, wool hats,
multiple coats, gloves, etc.) we walked the road to the lighthouse for a
tour and others bumped around near the lighthouse in the fog. We couldn’t
even see the lighthouse until we were a few hundred feet away. My
brother-in-law nonetheless has amazing photos, just not of birds- kind of
refreshing actually!

Anyhow we had eight Laplands in parking lot at gate before you get to
lighthouse. They were still there an hour and a half later when we got
back from our walk and lighthouse visit feeding right next to our vehicles.
We parked at gate and walked the 1/3 mile or so to lighthouse parking lot
(can drive straight to lighthouse parking lot but not a good idea if you
want to see birds). Saw a flock of 100+ pipits and four more Laplands up
close. While waiting with dogs below lighthouse (while others visited
lighthouse) there were two WT Sparrows and two Palm Warblers in the nearby
tall grass in the wind and fog.

We had fun on the beach and great food in Port Orford afterwards but no
unusual birds of note. On way back we drove up Langlois Mtn 6 miles until
we finally saw sun- my first in several days! Given the forecast could be a
while until we see that bright orb again on the coast.

Happy birding all!
Tim R
back in cool, drizzly Coos Bay with wood stove cranking : )

Join us on Facebook!