Date: 10/21/18 7:16 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Let's play name that subspecies
Three of the four birds in these photos show breast and back patterns consistent with Aleutians. The squarish head shapes are also n
more consistent with Aleutians, but they don’t seem to have particularly pronounced forecrowns. The one outlier is the darker breasted bird. This pattern is only seen on minima Cackling Geese, but in this case it seems a bit paler than normal. I have to wonder if Ridgway’s (minima) X Aleutian is a possibility here.

Dave Irons
Beaverton, OR

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 21, 2018, at 4:33 PM, Mike Patterson <celata...> wrote:
>
> Lot's of geese going by this morning on the Lower Columbia.
> There were 10 feeding on the lawn at the Historical Area of
> Ft Stevens. Can you name the subspecies?
>
> --
> Mike Patterson
> Astoria, OR
> That question...