Date: 10/21/18 7:11 pm
From: <sparvophile...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Pacific Loon - Cunningham
I hit Cunningham Lake late this afternoon (October 21). I initially drove in at Entrance 3 off 96th Street not far north of State Street; I set up my scope by the fishing area, then carried it east to the end of a point from which I could see up to the Highway 36 bridge. I found a single Common Loon, but no Pacific. I also found a Great Egret there.

I then drove in Entrance 2 from State Street, which took me to a parking lot near the west end of the dam. I set up my scope in that lot and scanned the portion of the lake that I could see from there, but saw no loons.

Earlier in the day, I'd worked Nemaha County. At Aspinwall Bend WMA, near the Nemaha town sewage ponds, I found two immature Black-crowned Night-Herons. I saw the birds only in the air, at a distance of about a quarter-mile. The lack of contrast between the remiges and the upperwing linings allowed me to rule out American Bittern with confidence; however, I relied pretty heavily on the range map to conclude that they were Black-crowns rather than Yellow-crowns.

William Flack
Kearney

Join us on Facebook!