Date: 10/21/18 6:26 pm
From: Walter Marcisz <wmarcisz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Calumet Park, Chicago (10-21-18)
A RED-NECKED GREBE was still present during my visit to Calumet Park (Chicago) on Sunday afternoon (21 October 2018). I first observed the bird in Illinois waters near the north boat launch, but later it was disturbed (by a boat) and took refuge in Indiana waters for the remainder of my visit. There were also lots of HORNED GREBES, but the vast majority stayed in Indiana waters, with only a few occasionally wandering into Illinois. I also saw two continuing SURF SCOTERS from the beach house, and while I was looking at them, two flocks of DUNLINS flew in from the north (a tight flock of 17 flew swiftly past the beach house heading south, followed by a flock of 7 that alit on the shore near to the Coast Guard Station.) Another shorebird species was still present in the park - a flock of 18 KILLDEER at the north ball fields. At least 9 CHIMNEY SWIFTS were still lingering in the park, along with other more typical late October migrants.

RED-NECKED GREBE:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/38600858@N06/44569383765/in/dateposted-public/

HORNED GREBES:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/38600858@N06/44757561234/in/dateposted-public/