Date: 10/21/18 6:08 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Let's play name that subspecies
Hi -

With the caveat that size matters in goose subspecies and I do not see good size references in these photos, I think these are Aleutian (Cackling) Geese.  The one bird with dark feathering below the white neck-ring is a pretty good Aleutian character, but when I look at flocks of Aleutians I see lots of variability in neck ring shape, width, and lower borders, and in breast color.

In several other subspecies neck rings occur, but in small minorities of the birds.  Having 2 0r more ringed birds together is  lot more likely with Aleutians.  Subspecies minima, which is more likely to have neck rings than other subspecies has shorter bills and darker breasts.

Wayne
On 10/21/2018 4:33:57 PM, Mike Patterson <celata...> wrote:
Lot's of geese going by this morning on the Lower Columbia.
There were 10 feeding on the lawn at the Historical Area of
Ft Stevens. Can you name the subspecies?

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!