Date: 10/21/18 4:19 pm
From: Leslie Borns <cakile...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose Piping Plover continues + other migrants
Dear IBETers,
It was a beautiful sunny Sunday out at Montrose Beach and Dunes, and a leisurely afternoon walk yielded some great birds.  The unbanded PIPING PLOVER, which has been here almost a week, was still present, feeding along a quiet tide pool on the main beach.  This is the latest date we have for this species at Montrose.
Three SNOW BUNTINGS foraged along the protected shoreline with a DUNLIN, the first buntings we've seen this fall.
A NELSON'S SPARROW flew out of the wetlands at close range.  And many CHIMNEY SWIFTS were flying low overhead the whole time.
Several lovely dune wildflowers are still putting on a show, especially one of my favorites, the otherworldly Grass of Parnassus which is very robust this season: http://illinoiswildflowers.info/wetland/plants/grass_parnassus..html.
Good fall birding (and botanizing),
Leslie BornsChicago/Cook It is a serious thingjust to be aliveon this fresh morningin this broken world.    -- Mary Oliver {1935 - }

Join us on Facebook!