Date: 10/21/18 3:06 pm
From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis...>
Subject: [obol] Re: McCown's Longspur(?) On top of Mary's Peak
Lars, et al.,

I would not expect winter-plumaged McCown's Longsurs to show any black
crescents below the throat. Also, they would show a rather distinct
black-and-white tail pattern (like an inverted "T"), which should have been
pretty obvious in flight.
I can't think of any other candidates except Horned Lark (which show up on
top of Marys Peak occasionally). The females have a much reduced mask and
overall duller colors than the males, so that may explain what you saw.
An intriguing report, though ... one never knows what could show up in that
location. Wish I had time to go and check it out!

Happy birding

Hendrik

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn