Date: 10/21/18 12:56 pm
From: Don Morrow <donaldcmorrow...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] SMNWR --- Sunday Morning
I headed down to St. Marks NWR this morning for six-and-a-half hours of
Fall birding that started at 6:30 am. It turned out to be a very social
morning. I birded on-and-off with Matt Johnstone, Nick Baldwin and Jim
Cavanaugh and ended up with 62 species, including migrants and returning
winter birds.

*Double Bridges*

Phoebe

Northern Waterthrush

Black-and-white Warbler

Magnolia Warbler

Palm Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Rusty Blackbird (eating a tree frog, Cavanaugh and I saw one bird, he had
more earlier)

*Double Dikes* (at the intersection with Lighthouse Road)

Greater Yellowlegs

Dunlin

Pectoral Sandpiper

Wilson’s Snipe

Vermilion Flycatcher

Yellow Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

*Tower Pond Trailhead*

Yellow-billed Cuckoo

Swainson’s Thrush

*Tower Pond*

Wood Stork (two flyby birds)

Semipalmated Plover

Least Sandpiper

Western Sandpiper

Dunlin

There was an extreme low tide with water being pushed out by a North wind.
Wind and low tide usually depress birding at SMNWR as land birds hunker
down and shorebirds leave to feed on exposed flats. Still, it was a
surprisingly productive day of birding. The refuge was definitely battered
by Michael, but it is still a great place to go birding.

Good Birding

Don Morrow
<donaldcmorrow...> <donaldcmorow...>
Tallahassee, FL