Date: 10/21/18 12:35 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake Calumet Area Red Necked Grebes (2) & A Harris's Sparrow Sunday 10-21-18
Hello Bird People,

If you don't at 1st succeed try, try again!
Started the day at Calumet Park to look (once again) for a Red Necked
Grebe. I was the 1st to arrive at 7:30 a.m. & was joined later by
Jayne L & Larry. Then Laurel R arrived & we all looked for the big
Grebe. After an hour & a half of looking by the boat launch area
(where it was seen yesterday) & elsewhere I gave up. There must have
been 15 or more Horned Grebes but no big guy. Decided to try
Steelworkers Park at 87th St as Red Necked Grebes have also been found
there & it's not far away. But all I found there were Cormorants & 1
each Pied Billed & Horned Grebe.

Wasn't going to try again at Calumet Park but I did so after all &
it's a good thing I did. Back to the boat launch area where I soon saw
a RED NECKED GREBE but it was a juvie not an adult. Then I looked to
the right & there was a 2nd RED NECKED GREBE, this one an adult. So
now I had to find the others if possible but then in drove Matt I & he
said the others had seen the Grebes from another angle but were coming
over for a closer look so I did not have to track them down.

Complicating our search were Cormorants & Red Breasted Mergs (females)
which, at a distance, can be confused with the Grebe. Also seen was
the SURF SCOTER best seen from the beach right were its been for quite
a while. There was one Black Duck in with some Mallards & a big flock
of Coots. While here a Spotted Sandpiper flew by so I could add that
species to my October shorebird list.

Next to Hegewisch Marsh to see if any shorebirds remained but I saw
none, Plenty of ducks though including Mallards, G.W. Teal, Shovelers,
Gadwall (lots) & 4 Pintail. Also saw the Mute Swan family but they
flew off.

Then to Burnham Prairie Marsh were I saw Andrew A who was leaving. He
got me on one Greater Yellowlegs & then I saw about 4 Killdeer to
close my shorebird list for the day. But the real highlight was when a
single sparrow flew into a small, thick tree & disappeared. But it
popped back up & gave me a good (but short) view of a HARRIS'S
SPARROW. Certainly never expected to see that bird today. But it
refused to be re-found. You can check my ebird lists if you want to
see all the birds I saw today as this post is already too long.

Bird-Of-The-Day is tie between the 2 Red Necked Grebes & the surprise
Harris's Sparrow.
Probably the Sparrow is the better bird but after missing the Grebe 3
times this week I was very glad to finally see it.

Al Stoke
Having a wonderful day in S.E. Cook County today.

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: