Date: 10/21/18 8:06 am
From: Rena Cohen <rena1729...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Late Yellow-billed Cuckoo today; other late birds and arriving waterfowl
I had a surprise/late YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO at Prairie Wolf Slough in Highland Park at 8:30 this morning, at first half-hidden in a bush and then cooperatively perched at eye level in front of me.  Also of note were two EASTERN BLUEBIRDS - notable because they were in a tree cavity - one NASHVILLE WARBLER, one HERMIT THRUSH, two RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS, two FOX SPARROWS and two FIELD SPARROWS all up close and personal.
On the subject of late migrants - I saw a PINE WARBLER on October 11 at Openlands Lakeshore Preserve (male adult in perfect view) and a WILSON'S WARBLER on October 12 at the Chicago Botanic Garden.
As for arriving waterfowl, yesterday's Lake/Cook Chapter field trip was very sparse on sparrows and other landbirds but we had six GREATER SCAUP at McDonald Woods in Lake Villa (all female, white stripe extending the entire length of the wing in flight) and small flocks of NORTHERN SHOVELERS (first seen flying over McDonald Woods) and BLUE-WINGED TEAL at Hastings Lake in Lindenhurst.
Rena Cohen - Highland Park - Lake County

Join us on Facebook!